Whether you want to admit it or not, high school can be a difficult time. Not only are you working hard to achieve good grades, but you’re also working hard to fit into the social scene. At the same time, you are mapping out your entire life – what college will you go to? What career path do you want to take? What do you want to do for the rest of your life? The point here is, high school is difficult. But one thing in particular that you can do to help you through is to join a club. By joining a club and earning a team jacket, you not only reap the benefits of being part of a team, but you can also gain many life skills that will not only be looked at by colleges and universities, but that you can also take on with you throughout life. So today, let’s talk about joining a school club.
So.. Should I join a school club?
The answer to this question is yes – you should absolutely join a school club! We don’t have to know you or your personality to know that joining a team will be beneficial – because the truth is, teams are beneficial for everyone and anyone. Whether you are the outgoing type, the shy type, the “popular” type, the “geeky” type, the straight A type, the straight D type, or the just well-rounded type, everyone can benefit from joining a school club.
What are the benefits of joining a school club?
The precise benefits of joining a school club will vary depending on the type of club that you join. For example, joining the football team will have more athletic benefits than joining the chess team. The chess team, on the other hand, may have more mathematical benefits than joining the football team. With that being said, there are some benefits that stand true for any team you join in high school. Here are a few:
- Joining a club allows you to meet new people – Whether you are outgoing, popular, shy , or geeky, we can all benefit from meeting new people. Clubs are an excellent way to do that. Many times club members work so closely together that they eventually grow to consider each other family. And there’s no denying that when you join a club, you meet people that you might not have otherwise met – and who may just end up becoming lifelong friends.
- Joining a club puts your time to good use – There are a lot of things that you can be doing in high school, and some (like joining a club) are more productive than others. If you’re thinking about your future, you don’t want to get mixed up in the wrong crowd. Joining a club can help you to meet like-minded individuals who can help you stay goal oriented, and who can keep you from straying away onto other, less productive hobbies or habits that can prevent you from reaching your long term goals.
- Joining a club could increase your grades – When you join a club in high school, your coach will encourage that you work hard to earn good grades. In some cases, you could even be kicked off the team if your grades slip. Therefore, the desire to remain part of the team can become excellent motivation to keep your grades high.
- You can earn a team jacket – Team jackets are a sign of success and achievement. Not only do they make you more noticeable to your peers, but they are also something that you can take along with you throughout life as a memory of your high school successes.
- They look great on college applications – When applying for college or university, extracurricular activities look great on your application. Not only does it tell people that you possess the skills related to the specific club, but it also shows them that you are determined, motivated, social, and willing to try new things – all of which are very desirable to college admission officials.
- Joining a club creates lifelong memories – When you join a club, you don’t just participate within the school setting. You also get to attend competitions or games, social events, fundraisers, celebration parties, and so on and so forth. Many of these might even require travel, opening up the opportunity for you to see new places and get to know new people. All of these factors are conducive to making memories that you can take on with you throughout the rest of your life.
What Types Of Clubs Can I Join?
The types of clubs available to you in high school will depend on the school that you go to. There are clubs for almost any interest out there, though not all schools will offer all clubs. If your school doesn’t offer a club that you were hoping for, perhaps you could suggest starting one up? This is a great way to show initiative, and to show that you can manage and lead a team! But for now, here are some common types of high school clubs where you can earn a team jacket:
- Photography club
- Art club
- Drama club
- Film club
- Chess club
- Science club
- Math club
- Book club
- French/Spanish club
- Charity club
- Community service club
- Improv club
- Sign language club
And the list goes on and on! If you can dream it – you can create it! Join a club, earn your team jacket, and create memories that last a lifetime.